Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Olga study #6

Here's the first lay-in of colour. I used a mix of yellow ocher, vermillion red and flake white for the base or local colour. I used translucent cyan for the cooler areas around the eyes, nose, neck and around the lips. The lips and ears I used some english red. It's still at a rather rough state but as I add layers of colours in over time, it should(hopefuly) start to look a lot better.

Here's a closer look.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Olga study #5

The painting is dry enough for me to at it with a razor and give this girl a shave ;) This is the razor I use to scrape down my paintings. One thing that you have to do with a razor for this kind of job is to make sure that you round the corners of the blade.. or you'll risk giving your work more than just a shave.

You don't have to press hard to get the lumps and bumps off, just use some common sense(practical wisdom folks!) and keep the blade flat against the surface and you should have no problems.

Olga study #4

At this piont I've added the background and started on the t-shirt. In hindsight I should have used 100% titainium white instead of flake white and a touch of titianium white for the brighter areas but I'll work the t-shirt more later. The background colour is a mix of old different coloured paints that I scraped from my pallet into one blob I call slops. While wet I used a touch yellow ochre deep to fleck through it to add a bit of pizazz!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Olga study #3

Here is the final underpainting. I'll let this dry for a day or two and then I'll scrap it back with a razor to take off any small lumps of paint so that the surface is once again smooth..

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Olga study #2

Here I've started adding my values in flake white and burnt sienna. I'm just adding paint rather loosly and not overly concerned with it looking smooth...that's for later on. I'm just concentrating on the face at the moment and I'm not worried about the rest of the painting just yet.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Olga study #1 WIP

Here is the begining of a head study of Olga Kurylenko that I'm about to attempt. I put up some grids in pencil and painted the head in Burnt Sienna with a small fillbert. I used turps to take away any unwanted paint. this is the first time I've use this method before...so I'll see how it all goes.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Thursday, November 18, 2010


This is just a personal piece I did recently.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Big Thumbs

Ok, I thought I'd post a few of my older sketches that are a little bigger than my usual smaller thumbs I do. Some of these are my favourites to date.

"Unauthorized Personal"

This is by far my favourite of all. One day I'd like to turn this into a painting.

"Temple of the Dogs"

"Ring City"

Did this on a piece of foolscap paper while on my smoko break...of course!

"Resolving Hostilities"

"Leda and the Goose"


Thursday, November 11, 2010


I get a lot of enjoyment out of doing thumbnail sketches. I start off with just a small size of about 2.5"x 3.5", I then just lightly make some abstract lines and curves here and there until I see an image develop, even turning the page around helps the process. I don't plan any of the images and they all basically form themselves over time. You could almost say that it's like laying on the ground looking at the clouds in the sky and picking out shapes to make an images of a cat, cow, or three headed dog etc.